Ottawa, the capital city of Canada, is known for its natural beauty, but it's also located in an area that experiences various natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, and severe storms. While these events can cause significant damage, being prepared can make all the difference in ensuring your safety. In this post, we'll focus on the top 5 natural disasters that occur in Ottawa and provide some tips on how to prepare for them.
- Earthquakes: Ottawa is located near the Saint Lawrence Seismic Zone, which is an area that experiences a moderate risk of earthquakes. To prepare for an earthquake, it's essential to secure heavy objects, such as bookshelves and televisions, to prevent them from falling. You should also create an emergency kit that includes food, water, and other essential items.
- Floods: Ottawa is also located near the Ottawa River, which can experience floods during heavy rainfall. To prepare for a flood, you should create a sandbag barrier around your home and store important documents and valuables in a waterproof container.
- Severe storms: Ottawa experiences severe thunderstorms, which can result in power outages, fallen trees, and other types of damage. To prepare for a severe storm, you should have a battery-powered radio and flashlights on hand, as well as a supply of non-perishable food and water.
- Winter storms: Ottawa experiences harsh winters, which can result in snow and ice storms that can cause power outages and damage to roads and homes. To prepare for a winter storm, you should have a winter emergency kit that includes food, water, and warm clothing.
- Tornadoes: While tornadoes are rare in Ottawa, they can still occur. To prepare for a tornado, you should have an emergency kit that includes food, water, and a battery-powered radio. You should also have a designated safe room in your home where you can go in case of a tornado warning.
In conclusion, being prepared for natural disasters is essential in ensuring your safety and well-being. While preparing for these events can seem overwhelming, having a well-stocked emergency kit, including Yes We Can - Emergency Canned Water, can make a significant difference in ensuring your safety. Remember, it's always better to be prepared and never have to use your emergency kit, than to be caught off guard and not have the necessary supplies.